The boys were pretty excited about having some new 'pets'. Maayu knew something cool was happening, but couldn't figure it out at first. Here they are waiting to see the catch:
When Maayu finally saw the crawdads she was pretty impressed!
I've eaten many a crawdad in my life, but having them as pets freaked me out. I'm guessing they are nocturnal because as soon as the sun went down they all started going crazy. They'd fight each other, do fancy squid-like swimming, and were just generally creepy-looking. The biggest one was smart enough to pull himself out of the tank, which happened on two different occasions. Once Alex found him in the kitchen sink, covered in old food and standing with his claws up as if in surrender. The second time Alex and I were in the living room after the kids had gone to bed and all of sudden heard a 'thump/crack' sound. We found him on the floor below the tank just chillin'.
I'd had enough when I woke up one morning and found that they had become cannibal and pretty much obliterated one of their friends. That's when Alex decided it was time to cook them up. Luckily I wasn't home to enjoy this feast (gag), but Joshua informs me it was definitely an experience he could have done without.
I think we'll just try to make it to the festival next time.
Maayu's expression is PRICELESS!!
ReplyDelete