Saturday, May 8, 2010

Red Rock


Today after Scouts we took a trip out to Red Rock. It was another gorgeous day (Santa Barbara, go figure!) and the boys wanted to take advantage of the water hole.

One of the boys' favorite things about going to Red Rock is driving through the river. I must admit, it's pretty cool!




So Alex turned up Montgomery Gentry and we enjoyed the ride over the river and around the hills. I think Christopher enjoyed it most of all. I loved watching him hang out the window.




I continue to be amazed at how chill and easy going Maayu is. (That isn't to say that the boys weren't as well.) I carried her in the pack and she enjoyed the ride.

It was quite an adventure getting to the water hole. We literally had to ford the river twice-and that's with carrying all of our gear which included a sun umbrella! The water was about a foot deep and rushing which didn't make it easy to cross on all those slippery rocks. But we made it.

Once we got to the water it was ridiculously windy. So windy that our umbrella turned inside out! Alex and the boys had to pile rocks around it to keep it from blowing away. It worked great, yet I still had to hold onto it when it got too gusty.

If it weren't for the wind it would have been perfect. The sun was warm and the water was cold. The boys played in the water for awhile but eventually emerged with goosebumps and chattering teeth. Chris and Nathan gathered clam shells for awhile.

We stayed for about 3 hours. I suspect that about 1 hour of that was spent just crossing the river!

It certainly was an adventure. And if you know Alex, then you know that anything we Walkers do turns out to be an adventure. But I'm sure we wouldn't have it any other way!

More pictures:




No comments:

Post a Comment