Saturday, December 12, 2009

Annual Christmas Tree Hunt

Yesterday was our annual Christmas tree run. We always go to a cute little tree farm in Buellton where we can cut down our own tree. The trees are not beautiful by any means, but it's such a fun tradition and the boys love it. Here is how Alex describes the trees at this place (a direct quote): "The trees are all stunted, deformed and I think they have tree cancer or tree AIDS; however, the boys love running up and down the rows to choose one."

I sat in the truck and watched as they ran through the trees. I had a 'mommy moment'. Nathan was jumping and running and had his arms up like an airplane singing a "Happy Christmas" song he made up. They were just having a time and it really filled me with joy.



After watching them circle through several times, I decided to get out and help pick out the tree. I picked out the least ugly I could find. And it's a pretty decent looking tree. It's taller than our last tree. We figured since we're spending Christmas in SB we might as well make it good.

The best part of the tree picking tradition is that all of the boys get to help saw it down. But ultimately, it's Joshua, the oldest, who gets to finish it off. Unless he needs help. Then Dad will pitch in.




We threw our tree in the back of the truck and headed home. Alex and the boys set it up and Alex did all of the decorating (because by then the boys were uninterested and on to other things and I was tired.)



I think our Charlie Brown tree is cute. And I can rest a bit more now knowing that it's all set up. I can go into labor knowing that the boys will have a real Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. I had a "grandmommy moment" just reading about it. The boys are so cute and this tradition is wonderful. I am convinced that traditions help bind families together. The tree looks good! It doesn't look diseased or funky at all!

    Thank you so much for posting these pictures - and for your earlier blog entries. I look at your blog and Alyssa's blog every night when I come home. They help me feel closer to all of you. I love them.

    Have you read Alyssa's blog entry about Christmas? It is truly beautiful.

    I love you all so, so, so, so much. And I can hardly wait to meet Maayu!

    ReplyDelete