I've been an emotional basket case lately. I drift between tears, gratefulness, fear and moments of absolute faith.
I'm so thankful for the years we've had here in SB! Besides the fact that it's pretty close to heaven on Earth, 2 of my babies were born here, so there's definitely some sentimental value as well. We've grown in number, love and faith in the last 6 years, and we won't ever forget the wonderful times we've had.
But the time has come for us to move on. We knew it was coming, we just didn't realize how quickly it would come!
We had always hoped that we would move from SB to a job. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Alex spent countless hours last year applying for multiple jobs. SB is not cheap, so we're heading off to a place where we can pay off some bills, save some money and get on our feet. Alex will finish up his dissertation, I'll (hopefully) find a job, and we'll figure it all out somehow. In the Fall Alex will give it another try and apply for more jobs.
And can I just how grateful I am for a loving MIL who is willing to take our circus in!
The hardest part of all of this for me is not knowing where we will end up. I always imagined that by the time I was 34 I would be established in a house somewhere and that is where my kids would grow up. I suspect it's because that is how my dad did it. But I'm slowly learning that things don't always work out the way you thought they would. (Who knew?) Life is uncertain. There are different challenges. I openly admit that I don't deal well with change or uncertainty. But I'm trying desperately to be more faithful.
The other night I came across this awesome talk by Elder Richard G. Scott titled, "The Sustaining Power of Faith in Times of Uncertainty and Testing". EXACTLY the words I needed to hear in my state. Everyone should read it, since everyone has gone through uncertain times at one time or another. But the key points in Elder Scott's talk are as follows:
* You will gather fruits of faith if you apply these principles:
- Trust in God and in His willingness to provide help when needed, no matter how challenging the circumstance.
- Obey His commandments and live to demonstrate that He can trust you.
- Be sensitive to the quiet prompting of the Spirit.
- Act courageously on that prompting.
- Be patient and understanding when God lets you struggle to grow and answers come a piece at a time over an extended period.
*Apply the principles taught by Moroni: “Faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith."
*Heavenly Father will not always reward you immediately for your desires. Rather, He will respond with what in His eternal plan is best for you.
*Ponder, pray and exercise faith to willingly makes choices consistent with the teachings of the God.
*Trying of your faith develops character. Fortified character expands your capacity to exercise faith.
*No matter how topsy-turvy the world becomes we will ALWAYS have the sustaining power of our faith.
What encouraging words! Words I'll remind myself daily in these uncertain times in my life. And as we pack up and leave SB, we will take the things that really matter; family, love, memories and our faith!
I needed to hear these words today. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteI hadn't heard the full story of why you were moving. Your MIL is awesome - I know from personal experience. She was an awesome YW leader, and much more! Good luck with the move.
ReplyDeleteMoving is HARD! I feel ya, girl! Godspeed- and hope the remainder of the packing and process isn't terribly painful :)
ReplyDeleteThings always have a way of working out even if we do not understand something. I hope that the rest of the packing goes smoothly and remember that this is a time to purge and start fresh. I am so excited for you to come!
ReplyDeleteYou are such an amazing to me Jenny, of persevering, exercising faith, and maintaining a eternal perspective when things are uncertain. Alex & the kids are lucky to have you! I will keep the continuing job market search in my prayers - I just know there are great things ahead for you!
ReplyDelete