Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Dental Update

Well, I finally went to the dentist today. Medi-Cal no longer covers dental for adult patients, unless you are a pregnant woman and have a problem that will complicate your pregnancy. I was ready to play up the pain (not that I really had to because I'm definitely in pain!), but the dentist was very sympathetic.

They couldn't take any x-rays because I'm so far along, so the dentist poked and prodded and scraped and tapped and finally we decided that it was just the gums. Apparently the pain is where the gums are receding and the nerves are exposed. There are actually several areas of my gums that are receding and hurt terribly when he poked them. So the dentist applied fluoride to the affected areas and told me to use Sensodyne toothpaste. If after a few weeks this doesn't help, I'm to go back and get a prescription for a stronger toothpaste.

I'm hopeful that the new toothpaste will help. I haven't had much pain in the last few days, which could be because I haven't eaten much of anything solid or acidic. I'm so thankful that it seems to only be the gums and not something terrible like an infection. Been there, done that, no fun at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment