Wednesday, October 28, 2009

H1N1 Shot

Today I stood in line for an hour to get an H1N1 vaccine. Alex dropped me off a half an hour earlier than the clinic was to open and there were already 71 women waiting in front of me. The line grew quickly behind me.

The whole thing was very professional. There was a police officer partroling on foot (like a bunch of pregnant women are going to scrap it out over a vaccine!), and a public health official kindly answered questions regarding the vaccine. I was able to ask him if Christopher's allergist would receive any of the vaccines. He said yes, he will be receiving some, however it is left to the doctor's own discretion as to how he was going to give them out. I'm hoping that Christopher is able to get one.

Our local news station was there also. Mr. John Palminteri, the senior reporter was there hanging out. He's sort of a local star around here. The fun of living in a small town! :0)

Though I hate getting shots, it's nice to know that I'm protected from getting a virus that could possibly kill me or my children. Paranoid? Yes. Absolutely. But better safe than sorry.

P.S. I forgot to mention that the vaccine I was given did not contain Thimerosal. The clinic only had 150 of the vaccines without Thimerasol. Lucky for me I was #72 in line. Would I have gotten the vaccine anyway? Probably.

P.P.S. And because I think it's cool, here's a picture of the line of pregnant women waiting in line. I am in the picture, though you can't really see me. If you locate the lady in the green shirt (kind of in the middle to the right), I'm the third person behind her, the very short person with the red purse. Not that exciting...but kind of cool, right?

4 comments:

  1. Lucky you! (Not the waiting in line for an hour part, but that you actually got it already! :)

    Hope Christopher gets his SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The H1N1 shots are here in small numbers. It would be worth calling both your doctor and public health on Monday. Love you!

    Have fun tomorrow with your wonderful little boys. I love you all SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to link to the picture, but since the article was a day old, I would have had to pay $6 for a short-term membership. I would have like to see the picture, but not $6 worth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be "subscription," not "membership," and "liked," not "like!"

    ReplyDelete