Monday, April 26, 2010

The Walking Wounded

Josh, Christopher and I all have wounds on our hands.

Last week Josh was outside playing with Harland and fell. They were rough housing, probably something to do with light sabers and kick boxing. When Josh went to break his fall he landed on his hand funny. I heard him start screaming, "It's broken! It's broken!". I went running out to see what was up and he told me his hand was broken. Now, I can't do broken bones. I've never had to deal with that before. I literally started biting my fingers and begging, "Please say you didn't break it!". It turns out it wasn't broken but he definitely hurt it badly. His hand has been swollen for weeks. I joke and call him "Josh and the fat hand" but he doesn't thing that's very funny. So he's been favoring that hand for days.

Christopher's eczema has been really bad lately, especially on his wrists and on the palm of right hand. I've been applying his regular ointment and a topical antibiotic and wrapping him up in gauze. I even bought him some gloves to keep his hand from being exposed while he's at school. Luckily he wears them with pride! We cut the fingertips off and he actually thinks they are cool. So he's not able to do a whole lot with that hand.

Today while cooking dinner, I sliced my right index finger on the sharp edge of the aluminum foil box. The roll had come out and I was trying to force it back in with my finger and I slipped and raked my finger across the sharp edge. My first thought was, "Darn, I hope I don't need stitches because I can't take all these kids to the ER!". I had Josh go upstairs and grab the bandaids while I cleaned up the blood that was dripping down my arm. Two bandaids later I was okay. But it's sure annoying not to have the use of that finger!

So you should see the three of us. It's comical to watch us. Josh and I helping each other open jars-I use my one good hand, Josh uses his. Buttoning clothes-not an easy task! Washing dishes with one hand. Flossing teeth. Quite a sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment