Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My Grad School Rant

Okay, can I just say, that as beautiful as Santa Barbara is, I can't wait until this grad school gig is over. Here are few reasons why:

*I like my husband and hate being alone at night. The other day Nathan asked if Daddy lived at school. I snorted and replied, "Practically!". Alex does make an effort to be home for at least an hour a day and on the weekends. But week nights are SO lonely and boring.

*One word-$. Yeah, grad students don't make very much. Can't wait to get a steady paycheck someday.

*The feeling of being in limbo is sort of frustrating. Three letters-ABD. All But Dissertation. Almost done, but not quite. Could be 6 months, could be 2 years. Guarantee that if you ask a grad student how much longer they have you will always get this response, or some variation. As the spouse of a grad student it's kind of confusing. Especially when you have no idea what your grad student spouse is doing all day.

*It's easy to get caught up in the "I can't wait until..." game. I can't wait until Alex finds a job he likes. I can't wait until we have a steady paycheck. I can't wait until we can afford to live in a HOUSE! I can't wait until we can own a washer/dryer. I can't wait until I don't have to hear my neighbors peeing through the walls. This game can last forever.

Bottom line: I'm pretty much ready to get on with life and be established. I know Alex is too. In due time, I know. Patience is a virtue I'm still working on. I keep telling myself "These are the days", and some day I will look back at these grad school years with fondness. Still...

1 comment: