Okay, so I finally feel as though I am leaving the land of the dead and emerging into the land of the living. It feels very Thriller-esque, considering I look pretty monstrous-with cold sore bubbles covering my top lip and impetigo rotting in my nostrils. But my fever has broken, my muscles are no longer sore and I am well enough to walk around. So, a definite improvement, I must say.
I was too unwell to report on my first prenatal appointment last Thursday. I had to force myself to get up and bathe and make it on time. I felt terrible while I was there. I felt especially bad for the lady sitting next to me in the waiting room with her new born baby who had to endure my hacking cough and snotty nose. Because I wouldn't wish this sickness on anyone, let alone a sweet newborn baby.
The doctor was very concerned about my cough and the fact that I had a fever of 102 degrees. Before we even talked about my pregnancy he took a throat culture and a nose culture to check for flu and what not. He prescribed some antibiotics, the 5 day Zithromax pack. Then we were on to the fun stuff.
Now I haven't had a female check up in quite some time and I forgot how much I hated it! I hate trying to engage in a casual conversation, normally about my children, while I'm being poked and proded. It just doesn't make me feel any more comfortable. But luckily for me, technology is such that you can now get an ultrasound of your baby at 11 weeks! I only expected to hear the heartbeat, that would have been enough for me. But then he said, "There's your baby!" And sure enough, there it was! Up on the screen that tiny being was twisting and turning and jumping. The doctor tried to get a good picture he could use to measure the baby, but it was way too busy enjoying it's watery world and doing somersaults. It was very, very cute. And it was just what I needed after weeks and weeks of feeling miserable. This little baby is totally oblivious to my misery. He/She is just growing and enjoying their warm safe world.
The medical assistant gave me one of the ultrasound pictures to take home. I don't have a scanner at home and my camera won't take a very good picture, otherwise I would have definitely posted it.
The prenatal appointment was the highlight of my week. Then it was back home to being sick. Alex get sick and feverish too, though his fever finally broke this morning. Joshua was feverish last night but seems better today. The antibiotic is definitely helping me get better. I still have a nasty cough, but that's the least of my worries now. I'm just hoping we all get back to normal very soon.
Oh my goodness Jenny, when it rains it POURS, doesn't it?? Thank goodness for those little moments that carry you through. Hang in there! There is a light at the end of the tunnel!
ReplyDelete