Sunday, August 23, 2009

Quit Complaining!

“The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable.” ~ Joseph B. Wirthlin

One thing you may not know about me is that in the confines of my apartment I love to complain. About everything: the dishes, the laundry, the weather, my bodily ailments, or just about life in general. And you can imagine, now that I'm pregnant, the complaining has gotten worse. My husband often points out how much I complain. He used to just come right out and say, "Quit complaining!", but has since learned to be a little more tactful by saying, "It's all about attitude." Which doesn't help my attitude at all, thank you very much. But deep down I know he's right. Complaining doesn't change anything. It's really a very selfish act on my part and just makes everyone in my home unhappy.

That's why I love this quote by Elder Wirthlin. I'm tempted to groan ALOT. But laughing is so much better! And I'd much rather be grateful for what is right and good in my life than complain about what really doesn't matter in the long run. (Easier said than done, but I'm going to give it a whirl!)

If you want to read more of Elder Wirthlin's talk, you can find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment