Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dinner Menus

I am super impressed with women who make weekly dinner menus. I've tried it in the past but was never very successful. Either I got lazy and just let the kids eat cereal for dinner (yes, I swore I'd never do it, but here I am letting it happen!) or didn't have the ingredients because I don't plan ahead. I'm horribly inconsistent with everything in my life. It's true.

So I've decided to give it a try again. Making a weekly dinner menu, that is. I've been searching for some recipes that are easy and cheap. I'm tired of eating chicken strips for dinner (though the ones we eat are homemade and much better than the premade ones at the store).

I've figured out that if I choose meals that are 5 ingredients or less, I won't feel so daunted by the whole process.

I found a couple of cool websites:

Five Ingredient Recipes

Heart Healthy Living

And here's a website I LOVE! I came across a recipe for 'Spaghetti Chicken' in Woman's Day magazine and it was delicious. Turns out the lady who wrote the recipe has a blog full of tasty stuff.

The Pioneer Woman

I would also love to get any of your favorite, quick and/or easy recipes. Because I really am tired of eating chicken strips every day.

5 comments:

  1. I have a cookbook that I think is just for you! I'll have to bring it over sometime! I can't make weekly menus either and we don't even have any kids! I'm terrible. Someday....

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can check-out my recipe blog, and it has recipes under the tag "fast". There is a link on my blog or find it at emmaskitchen.blogspot.com
    I am really horrible a weekly recipes. It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time and I just never do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pioneer Woman has some tasty stuff, but sometimes her step by step thing kills me. I like Annies Eats, though her recipes aren't always simple..though you can simplify most. I have a magazine called 5 ingredients or less that has some GREAT and yummy stuff; when things are decluttered around her, I'll dig it out. Cooking light has a whole category of healthy and yummy recipes in 20 minutes or less section.

    And my goal is to get a dinner menu going to...if I come across any great blogs/ideas, I'll tip it your way. I do have a list of "pantry items" from cooking light that they say every home should have. Some may be unnecesary (housin sauce, which we actully have and never use, comes to mind) but keeping the basics on hand-or so they say-makes meal planning seem less impossible.

    My goal is to have at least one meal a week be made from food storage items so I can both work on ou rpreparedness and actually know how to use it (and not waste money on crap that gets thrown out expired).

    ReplyDelete
  4. *please mentally corect (too) and (unnecessary)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Alyssa, that's funny-I LOVE the step by step pics on PW. Guess I'm just visual. And alot of the tasty stuff on there is really heart attack food. I mean,use butter much?!

    I love your cooking with food storage goal. Our food storage mostly consists of dried beans, so I'm limited there. :o) But I did make chili the other day and am going to attempt to make hummus. (Though we all know it won't be nearly as delicious as Jacobs.)

    *Emma I checked out your cooking blog and there are some great easy recipes I'm going to try. Thanks!

    *Jacquie, did you know that I'm now teamed up with Kaitlyn as your vt? I'd love to take a look at your cook book. And I really think it's cool that your business is taking off!

    ReplyDelete