I'm going to be blatantly honest with you, Alex and I are terrible-TERRIBLE-with money and budgeting. We have a huge amount of debt; credit card, school loans and a truck. And we live on a graduate students budget, i.e., no income. This is not a good situation. Not at all.
For years we've spent money while we had it, never saved, never budgeted. Then we'd run out of money and I'd freak out, cry, stress and take it out on my husband. He'd take it out on me. Again, not a good situation.
Last year Alex put me in charge of paying all bills. I freaked out because I'd never done that before. But I figured out how to use Excel and keep track of all bills and payments. I now keep track of the money we have (be it little), pay bills, buy groceries and hold all debit cards. (That's right, Alex relinquished his debit cards to me.)
I was on the right track, but I still felt as though I was clueless when it came to budgeting. But after reading this month's visiting teach lesson, I felt inspired.
I CAN learn to budget. I CAN learn to save, even on a student's income. I CAN. And I know I can because we've been counseled to do so by the Church. Which means it's not only possible, but it's what is right.
I love the very simple suggestions given by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin on how to avoid debt:
"May I suggest five key steps to financial freedom. . . .
"First, pay your tithing. . . .
"Second, spend less than you earn. . . .
"Third, learn to save. . . .
"Fourth, honor your financial obligations. . . .
"Fifth, teach your children to follow your example."
Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin (1917–2008) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
Can it really be that easy?! Have I just been making it harder than it should be? Apparently.
Thank you so much Jenny! I feel like you were able to give me the VT message after all, in a roundabout way. I also love how simply Elder Wirthlin puts it - SUCH good advice.
ReplyDelete