Sunday, April 19, 2009

Living in faith-not fear

It can be so easy for me to become fearful. I fear for my children in the world today. I fear for my husband’s health and his job prospects. I fear for the future and if we will ever be financially stable. When I think about these things too much it’s like a downward spiral.

Today, after hearing about a loved one's death, I was left fearing again. I feared for his family who now must move on without their husband and father. I began to worry about what I would do if something happened to my husband. How would I care for our children?

I suddenly felt all alone.

In the quiet, after the boys went to bed, I decided to search “fear” on lds.org, to see if I could find any guidance or advice. I searched through talk after talk, lesson after lesson, then realized something that I had been missing all along: The only way to banish fear is with faith.

Of course! How could I forget? Faith- in Heavenly Father and his plan of salvation, in Jesus Christ and the atonement, in the Holy Ghost and his promptings.

We’ve all read Hebrews chapter 11. I remember reading it over and over as a teenager. It’s so easy to read about and applaud the faith of others, but sometimes it’s hard to find it within myself. I suppose that is why Alma encourages us to treat our faith as a plant that needs water and sunlight and pruning. We cannot let our faith become dormant. Because that is when fear creeps in.

Faith. It is what will get me through the challenges of life-and teach me to trust in Father and Jesus Christ to help and sustain my family and me.

Elder Richard D. Scott gave these wonderful and encouraging words:

“Motivating faith is centered in trust in the Lord and in His willingness to answer your needs. For “the Lord … doth bless and prosper those who put their trust in him.” 2 The consistent, willing exercise of faith increases your confidence and ability to employ the power of faith.

You can learn to use faith more effectively by applying this principle taught by Moroni: “Faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.” 3 Thus, every time you try your faith, that is, act in worthiness on an impression, you will receive the confirming evidence of the Spirit. Those feelings will fortify your faith. As you repeat that pattern, your faith will become stronger. The Lord knows your needs. When you ask with honesty and real intent, He will prompt you to do that which will increase your ability to act in faith. With consistent practice, faith will become a vibrant, powerful, uplifting, inspiring force in your life. As you walk to the boundary of your understanding into the twilight of uncertainty, exercising faith, you will be led to find solutions you would not obtain otherwise. I testify that I know that is true…No matter what occurs, no matter how topsy-turvy the world becomes, you can always have the sustaining power of faith. That will never change. The perfect love of your Father in Heaven will never change. His gospel plan gives life meaning and can assure your happiness…Why worry about future calamities or uncertainties over which you have no control? …Your peace of mind, your assurance of answers to vexing problems, your ultimate joy depend upon your trust in Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. Right will ultimately prevail. It will yield blessings now as you in faith obey the commandments of God. Remember an unfailing, continual, ever-present source of peace and comfort is available to you. It is the certainty that your Father in Heaven loves you no matter what your circumstance, no matter what winds of trial, turmoil, or tribulation whirl about you. That certainty will never change. Your ability to access that support depends on the strength of your faith in Him and in His certain willingness to bless you.”

I’m so thankful for the gospel, and for a loving, tender and just Father in Heaven. And for his Son, Jesus, who gave himself freely to atone for my sins. I feel their love with me when I exercise my faith. And I am left without fear-only peace and joy.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. And a reminder I needed as I have been pretty focused today on how unfair life can be. You reminded me that when the world dishes cruelty we will always have the joyful and sustaining hope the gospel brings to get us through if we exercise our faith. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it. I just tried for my fourth time in 3 days to post a comment and I lost my internet connection AGAIN. My second version came the closest to how I feel. The last one wasn't as well-worded. I don't have high hopes for this one - but I want to at least try.

    Here's what impressed me the most: You acted on faith and you acted immediately. You went to good sources for direction and insight, and in doing so, received personal revelation. This is a clear, dynamic illustration of a well-taught gospel principle. I know it to be true, but I often wallow in discouragement instead of moving forward with hope and intent. You taught me, Jenny, and I thank you. I think your entry is beautiful and I will read it many, many times.

    ReplyDelete