Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Projects!

We are a "project" family. We love projects. There is always some kind of project going on in our home. Be it sewing, drawing, painting, leather work or taxidermy (Lol. We've got a snake skin curing in our back patio right now!) So you can imagine our delight when we discovered that the boys' school doesn't have regular homework but weekly projects.

Because my children are so curious and creative, we've done many different kinds of projects. This week Joshua is working on a medieval castle. It's coming along great! We used empty boxes I've been saving for months (Yay, I'm finally getting rid of them!). Joshua was very focused while painting it last night.


Here it is after one coat of paint.



Christopher is very into Ancient Egypt right now. His interest was initially sparked by Joshua. Then he became very interested in ancient writing (Hmm, sounds like another Walker in the family...). Of course he loves the mummies and pyramids too. So for his project this week he's going to make a mummy. He hasn't started wrapping it up yet, so you'll have to stay tuned to see how it turns out.

As I mentioned earlier, Alex is working on curing a snake skin. It is out in our back patio covered in antifreeze. Alex thinks it should be done by this weekend. So, you're probably wondering how we procured this snake skin...well, let me tell you.

We were out for a drive down Hwy 1 and keeping a sharp eye out for anything cool. The ocean was beautiful and we were really enjoying it. Then suddenly Alex does a u-turn on the 2 lane highway swearing that he saw a snake in the road! We were pretty excited to check it out. Alex parks on the side of the highway and runs down the road toward the snake. It was still alive! But just as he got to it a car came along and ran it over. Darn it! But Alex grabbed it anyway and we all felt so bad for the poor thing. But all was not lost, my friend. Alex pulled out his handy dandy Case knife and skinned the snake right there on the side of the highway. And that skin chilled between us all the way home in an ice filled child sized Burger King cup. :0)

I am between projects right now. It's hard to help the kids with their projects and work on my own. But I've got this baby quilt I've been trying to finish. It is a Hungry Caterpiller quilt.



We'll see when I can get to it. For now I'm just enjoying watching and helping out on everyone else's project.

And of course, Nathan is just too busy being cute. And he's so good at it!


4 comments:

  1. Awesome. Sounds like our house growing up-we were a project family (and the random skinned animal tale is an all to familiar one...only back in the day he would stuff them in the FREEZER until he got to them or use the MICROWAVE (ick!) for some nefarious act (ok, maybe not nefrious, perhaps just overly eager curiosity).)

    The castle reminds me of Jordan. He was obsessed with the middle ages and built an awesome castle out of mini wheats for a class project sometime in lower elementary school. We have a picture somwhere.

    Tell the boys I love them. It is fun to watch them grow into such interesting people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I wrote almost the same message earlier, but my hijacked internet access failed and I lost the comment while trying to post it. Joshua's castle is spectacular! We had castles and missions galore, but Jordan's 2nd grade Mini-Wheat castle was one of the most memorable. Alex built a castle out of styrofoam and sugar crystals and Alyssa built a mission out of gingerbread. Such great times! Projects make life interesting. (Or maybe they are the proof that people are.)

    Re: the snake. Look at your little boys now. That's what your big boys will be. Snakes, skins, random animals, exploring, categorizing, recording…. We are lucky, lucky, lucky (although I didn't always think so when I found surprises in the freezer)!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you're reading women of the silk-I liked that book! Did you finish Snow Flower and the Secret Fan already?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I finished Snowflower and the Secret Fan a couple of days ago. I really liked it. I liked it more than Peony in Love just because it was a little less intense. I'm really enjoying Women of the silk too.

    ReplyDelete