But I have to admit that the boys have been doing well the last few days. When I found out I was pregnant they seemed to think that was an invitation to wreak havoc in the neighborhood-and at home. Joshua peed in the playground, not so discreetly, and when our 10 year old female neighbor came running through, got some on her. Then as I was dragging 7 loads of laundry home in the wagon, I noticed that my 5 year old is running through the complex sans pants-or underwear. Now I sometimes have a hard time really laying down the law with the boys because I'd much rather there be a spirit of fun and happiness. However, I'm also not one to let my children run around like wild animals. It was TIME to lay down the law. We told them we'd take away EVERY single toy and video (except church or nature videos) and put them in storage.
I also made a lesson for FHE based on the responsibilities in families. We talked about how we should have a house of order and what that means. We talked about what a team is and how our family is a team-we all work together for a common goal. We read Ephesians 6:1 how children should obey their parents. Also D&C 83:4-5 where parents are responsible to take care of their children.
Then I made a list of all the chores that need to be done around here. We went through each chore and discussed who can and should do them. Then I gave everyone a sheet of paper titled "______helps the family by:" and had them glue their chores on it. This way there's no confusion. (By the way, I won't take the credit for this idea. I heard another family did something similar and thought I'd try it.)
And I am strictly enforcing consequences now. For some reason Christopher seems to be getting alot of those lately...:o). And he hates them, so they are working. As a parent, I really, really, really want to stress to the boys how important it is to make good choices. CTR. Good choices can have good consequences and wrong choices can have bad consequences. Which one do you want to experience?
Anyway, if Alex and I continue to try to teach the boys to ctr and to be responsible around here, maybe in a few months our home with reflect some kind of order. It has to, right, with a new baby coming?
I am SUPER impressed with your FHE!!! I am also super impressed that Christopher is taking to it...my mom was a wuss at consequences (sorry, mom). She would make Alex and I either sit in a chair until we could tell her we were sorry and why it was wrong (which we always knew anyway, so I'm not sure the sorry meant a thing) or she would send us to be grounded in our room, without toys...but we both loved books and she couldn't exactly ground us from them, so we never minded ;0
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear you are sick every night! That sucks. But I am happy to hear you aren't puking your guts out all day like you have in the past.
Idea for dinner-you guys should get one of those panini makers ($20) and the boys can have fun making their own sandwiches. They are super easy, make great grilled cheese, or mini pizzas, or hot ham and cheese, etc, and are pretty fun. The boys could do it themselves, at least Josh for sure could. Could at least work on the days you are really not feeling up to it.
And I know I'm not suposed to laugh, but peeing on the playground, especially on a girl, and running around in public commando is an M.O. that would make Uncle Jordan proud. He practically invented it (though he did it in cowboy boots and a fireman hat):)
See, this is a problem for me too. Sometimes the boys do stuff they shouldn't do, but I can't help but laugh or agree with their behavior. Like the time Joshua hit a kid 2 years older because he wouldn't stop squirting him with water. My first thought was, Well you should have stopped! And when Christopher bit that kid at school for not letting him go-he should have let go! But then I remember that I need to teach them manners and what not. :0) I just don't want to be THAT family, you know. The one everyone talks about where the kids are out of control and have terrible manners.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the panini idea. Joshua would love that, and I've been trying to think of a way he could start helping with dinner. That would be perfect. Joshua is such a great helper already. I'm so proud of him.
Yeah, I would guess that the boys do alot of things that would make Uncle Jordan proud. :0P
Oh, one way or another Walkers are always going to be THAT family, purely because we refuse to follow the crowd and many don't like that (as I know you have discovered). But yes, manners and what not are very important too. :)
ReplyDeleteYep, I'm all for the manners. (Alyssa, I couldn't have COMPLETELY tanked on consequences, because you all have good manners—not that all three of you always use them, but you have them.). And Jenny, it is hard to do consequences. I'm impressed that you are teaching your boys the why behind what they should do. They are smart, smart children. They will be far more impressed by knowing why they should do something, instead of just being told what to do.
ReplyDeleteI was a wuss. I had no clue whatsoever to how to handle sibling disagreements. Totally foreign concept. (Siblings were supposed to come home during the summer and buy ice cream.) It's a testimony to what great kids I have that all three of you figured it out.
Did Alex ever tell you about the time he socked Keith (Kevin?) bully-boy in the 5th grade? Mr. Lina sent him home for the day. It was the day of Open House. I went that night and got high-fives from everyone (Mr. Lina included). They were all thrilled with Alex's "misbehavior." (In today's world, Mr. Lina would have had to give him a 5-day suspension.)
That's so funny about Alex socking that kid! I'll have to ask him about it. Giving consequences is so hard for me to-enforcing them anyway. The other day I told Christopher I'd have to take his toys away if he didn't do as I asked and he replied, "You'll forget." And I normally do! So they had my number. Not anymore though. I can't be pregnant and have them run wild. But Alyssa is right. One way or another we will always be THAT family. Not that it's a totally bad thing. I'm actually proud of the kids for not conforming. But it's hard for me sometimes because my brother and I were quiet and did exactly as we were told-most of the time anyway, out of fear. I don't want the kids to fear me, just learn what is right and do it so it's second nature. But it is hard. I learn something new every day as a parent!
ReplyDelete